Tuesday, January 30, 2007

will you be my friend?



This is kinda OT, but I can't help it. I'm feeling so lonely. I just gotta reach out to you all.

I came across the article exerpted below, and thought that it would be a diversion from the lack of action in the RE biz.
Calgary author says bloggers a lonely bunch unlikely to change the world - link

CALGARY (CP) - Bloggers are living in a world where emotions may be real but everything else is make-believe... But Michael Keren, who has written "Blogosphere: The New Political Arena," suggests individuals who bare their souls in blogs are isolated and lonely, living in a virtual reality instead of forming real relationships or helping to change the world. "Bloggers think of themselves as rebels against mainstream society, but that rebellion is mostly confined to cyberspace, which makes blogging as melancholic and illusionary as Don Quixote tilting at windmills," the author says.
Poor VHB, making up all that make-believe data because he's lonely.

Poor pope, kicked out of seminary school, and now believes that he has a billion-odd odd-balls that worship him. That's not quixotic, that's crazy!

And poor Rob Chipman. Sitting in his mother's basement, believing that he is a real estate agent. What's more sad, he believes that he is really Rob Chipman.

And uncertain buyer, uncertain that he even exists perhaps. It's ok uncertain, I am creating reality, and you do exist - just another of my make believe friends? I dunno, ask mohican (I made him up too).

What is really ironic, is that this guy wrote a whole book about how lonely people writing blogs are. How quixotic...

Gotta go and check my stats - to see how many people like me. Later!

7 comments:

Uncertain Buyer said...

I spend my whole day interacting with peers, customers, and my family. My job has me traveling all over the Lower Mainland meeting new people constantly.

I started Blogging because it is a great way to aggregate information.

I use other Blogs as sources for information that isn't provided in the Media. With the added bonus of input from readers, that provide incite and criticism.

Blogs are also a good place for finding MSMedia material as well.

I think the author of that book is a little behind the times.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely too funny. When I read the bit about Chipman, I started to giggle uncontrollably. Too funny!!!!

More seriously, I do believe that RE bloggers can influence the RE market, some obviously more than others.

Blogs provide a healthy check on main stream communications of many kinds, whether it be the MSM or simply widely-held beliefs.

Not a passing fancy. Not a lonely hearts club. Not merely a curious social phenomenon. But rather a new, meaningful and effective method of one-to-one and one-to-group communication between/among citizens of the (dare I say it) global village.

MLB said...

Thanks for the comment. I will stay tuned for any real estate advice you have. I am struggling thru the process. And sometimes I just want to bang my head in to the wall.

Anonymous said...

Have you checked Chipman's stats today? The RE recovery is upon us. Oh well the bear market was fun while it lasted.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I think the author is lonely and jealous that we have something in common.. which is we blog and meet new people..and make friends.. he is behind the times.. and it's not so lonely.. I have a 14 month old and he keeps me quite busy.. I blog when I can sapre a few minutes each day to keep in contact with family and all my new friends.. So he can go blow....

Anonymous said...

Some people keep saying that at least half of the downtown condos are owned by investors. However, only very few Hudson units and Yaletown Park units are released into the market upon completion. One may argue that investors are still holding their properties, but if they don't sell them upon completion, brand new suites will become old units. Maybe there are not really that many investors.

solipsist said...

Maybe there are not really that many investors.

I keep wondering the same thing.

But who said that in the first place? Mouthpieces for the industry if I recall.

I feel that there is a huge manipulation going on here. uncertain buyer alluded to such a notion in the Stock Market. It's all goading me to finally get to my long-promised epistle on marketing.