Friday, December 08, 2006

the bubble and mr.creosote



I stay up late at night thinking about things. I like that time because the world is asleep, and there is little distraction. I love the 3 o'clock wow.

Last night I was pondering on the meaning of life amongst other things, and I had one such epiphany. I thought of how several scenes from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life could be descriptive of the completely irrational RE market.

A few of my favourite scenes come to mind;

For the argument that the population will increase as dramatically as has been stated by some, I get the image of the Irish family, wherein the wife is washing the dishes with dozens of her children to the rafters, and there is a plop, a baby's cry, and another baby -


Then, Dad has bad news for the family -
DAD:
Wait! I've got something to tell the whole family.
DAD:
The mill's closed! There's no more work. We're destitute.
CHILDREN:
[talking]
DAD:
Come in, my little loves. I've got no option but to sell you all for scientific experiments.

That's the kind of out of control breeding we will need to fill those DT condo's. And when the lay-offs start... Dad's solution is even better than mk-kids' idea of putting the young'uns out to work in retail.


And then there is Mr. Creosote. Gorged, and bloated and obese, with an insatiable appetite. He could be analgous to the marketers, and developers, and flippers. We know what happened to him when he ill-advisedly ate the wafer-thin mint after consuming all else in sight. He exploded - leaving a very large mess. Innocent by-standers were covered in the fall-out.



And poor Gaston - the garcon. He knows the meaning of life, and wants to show what it is. He leads us through the streets, across hill and dale, until we arrive at the house where he was born. But the concept of a simple house, and a simple life are not what the maitre d' has in mind, and he mocks Gaston (an analogue to those who bought Intellectual Properties at the "W" and sneer at the bitter renters?).


GASTON:
As for me, huh, if you want to know what I think, [sniff] I'll show you something. Come with me.

Nearly there, now. You see that? That's where I was born.

You know, one day, my-- my mother, she put me on her knee and she said to me, 'Gaston, my son, the world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and... love everyone, try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go,' and so, I became a waiter. Well, it's-- it's not much of a philosophy, I know,... but, well,... fuck you. I can live my own life in my own way if I want to. Fuck off.


To those who made it all the way down here, thanks for sticking with me. This movie is one of my all-time favourites. If you haven't seen it, it's a great laugh.

all images and script exerpts from the link up top.

1 comment:

solipsist said...

Oh, your lonely comment needs some company. I guess cutting a lot of the dialogue helped get you to the bottom.

Basil Fawlty might turn to RE sales in the coming months - there will be a lot of Fawlty Towers in the future - read leaky condo's.

Thanks for posting!